I don't think there is a problem with List volume worth quitting the List
entirely.  Why quit entirely & miss it all?  If I were to need a breather I
would just let it accumulate & then go in and wipe it all out and start
over.  Anything interesting or important is liable to rear its head again.
Or go in & delete all post with a Fw: or a Re: on 'em.  Or all posts after
9:00 PM.  Or, if you feel you have to but my last choice, delete all from
members you consider particularly verbose or annoying (like me).  Or,
develop your own strategy.  Subject headings are "generally" pretty good.  I
like deleting every other day.  I think you'd still get plenty that's
valuable out of this experience. I think there is far less personal
chit-chat type stuff

The problem with volume is really  that there are so many interesting topics
& all other manner of new things going on.  When something like MJF happens
& there is too much posted on one topic, that, to me, is a good time to
delete whole days.

[I twice recently posted  comments about posts which unnecessarily reposts
others' posts.  The first one I [accidentally, I assure you] picked on one
of janet's.  She contributes so much value here that -well, my apologies.
The second was most definitely "mean-spirited " "sarcasm,"as Joan described
it.  And Bernie deserved every bit of it. Anyone who posts 11 [eleven]
lame-brain posts in a row like he did - each one of them re-posting someone
else's, 10 of them with a really stupid comment [go look] deserves a
negative reaction  Maybe he was having his own fun with us.]

There is some way of directing all your list mail to one "mailbox"  to make
it easier to develop a volume coping strategy, but I'm afraid I don't know
it.