Bruce, typical E-mail FAQs suggest that you repeat that portion of the original
message so it is clear as to what you are replying to, such as:
Bruce Anderson wrote:

> I don't think there is a problem with List volume worth quitting the List
> entirely.  Why quit entirely & miss it all?  If I were to need a breather I
> would just let it accumulate & then go in and wipe it all out and start
> over.  Anything interesting or important is liable to rear its head again.
> Or go in & delete all post with a Fw: or a Re: on 'em.  Or all posts after
> 9:00 PM.  Or, if you feel you have to but my last choice, delete all from
> members you consider particularly verbose or annoying (like me).  Or,
> develop your own strategy.

Good ideas, I'm going to print them out and stick them up by my computer, if
anyone has more I'd like to hear them. Here's one - if your going to be gone for
a couple of days or more use "set PARKINSN nomail" ( send
[log in to unmask]) then you don't have to delete and you save time
on the crowded internet and space on your ISP's server.

> The problem with volume is really  that there are so many interesting topics
> & all other manner of new things going on.  When something like MJF happens
> & there is too much posted on one topic, that, to me, is a good time to
> delete whole days.

This is when I like to scan everything so I don't miss something, (to each his
own) :-)

> There is some way of directing all your list mail to one "mailbox"  to make
> it easier to develop a volume coping strategy, but I'm afraid I don't know
> it.

Bob Chapman 65/4