I apologize My instructions were confusing and a lot of people
misunderstood.

While in the summary I will put a sampling of comments To approach this
with any kind of validity I need to convert opinions into numbers UGH
I know we lose something in the process but it does work better.

For each of the following statements A through L Answer from 5 if you
strongly agree with the  statement to 1 if you strongly disagree.  Be
careful-  to promote objectivity the meaning of a phrase might be
changed by a NOT or other phrasing.

The reply should be in a list of question Letters and your answer
 For example
A- 3
B- 4
C- 5

 Send an answer sheet to me by direct e-mail at [log in to unmask]

 Use Answer

5 Strongly agree,
4. Agree
3. Not sure
2. Disagree
1. Strongly Disagree,
XX no opinion

Report in the following format

A. There is too high volume of messages on the list.
B. I have conversed with former List Members who have told me they left
the list because of the
high volume of mail. (Do not include people who have left for that
reason that you heard about
via a public on-list post)
C.  I have NOT considered leaving the list because of high mail volume.
D. High mail volume DOES NOT discourage motivated potential contributors
from participating
in the list.
E .I think that the volume of material not related to (my view of)  the
purpose of the list is too
high.
F. I DO NOT FEEL that the volume of mail discourages contributions which
are in keeping with
my view of the purpose of the list.
G. Some LISTMEMBERS post too many messages.
H. Something should be done to limit the number of non-PD mail.
I. There are complaints about high volume are mainly as a result of  its
popularity and there is no
significant  problem that needs addressing.
J. There is little or no problem with the appropriateness of the
postings on the list.
K. There is LITTLE OR NO value in doing polls like one.
L. .If from this survey it is found that a large percentage of
LISTMEMBERS feel that there is a
problem a follow-up survey should be conducted to find out more
specifics of the problem and
ways to deal with it.

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin

heading from first posting
OK LIST ENOUGH FIGHTING WITHOUT DATA TO BACK UP OUR ARGUMENTS
Do we think we have a problem?

IT'S TIME FOR A SURVEY.  THE LIST APPEARS QUITE  SPLIT ON WHETHER WE
EVEN HAVE
A PROBLEM LET ALONE WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT.

. LET'S FIND OUT WHAT  PEOPLE THINK

I AM GOING TO SURVEY THE GROUP IN 3 STEPS.
1. IS THERE A PROBLEM PERCEIVED BY THE CURRENT LISTMEMBERS?
2. WHAT ARE THE SPECIFICS OF THE PROBLEM?
3. WHAT IF ANYTHING SHOULD BE DONE?

Return to me Off List at [log in to unmask]
Return in the following format.

A (1-5)
B.rate
C etc
D.
E. xx
ETC
Then comments at the end an suggestions for questions on the follow-up
questionnaire.