Hi Gerrit,
It was very astute of you to pick up the break-through from little ol' NZ.
Christchurch NZ on Monday Dec 14.  There is a more in-depth article in
another paper that I was intending to post to the group but I haven't
managed to find it on-line yet.  I will post it if I find it or if I can
get it scanned.  If anyone has this paper in their local Library it was the
front page news in the SUNDAY STAR TIMES Dec 13.

It certainly sounds very encouraging news for all Neuro sufferers.

Christine Anderson 48/4

>New discoveries under cash threat - The Press - National News - - December
14, 1998, Dec 14 1998

>     It's like removing the bullet from the chamber of the gun of the
person who is holding it to his head.--Professor Peter
>     Gluckman, Auckland Medical School Professor Peter Gluckman said the
new drugs, which stop damaged brain cells from
>     "committing suicide", could help millions of people worldwide who
suffer from distressing disorders like multiple sclerosis,
>     Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease.
>     Clinical trials of one of the drugs, which were developed by an
Auckland Medical School team headed by Prof Gluckman,
>     could start within months and the other within the next few years.
>     Professor Gluckman believes it is the first serious and viable
attempt to kick-start the country's research and development
>     industry.
>     Until clinical trials are complete Prof Gluckman will not predict how
big the new drugs will be.
>     "Now what we're looking at is the fundamental of changing the
survivability of brain cells -- and that is just a totally novel
>     concept which we and others have developed over the last three or
four years." Brain cells were injured in many ways,

At 08:24 15/12/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello to you all again from a beautiful and wet Cape Town.
>
>I found the following item on a News broadcast:
>NEUROLOGICAL DISEASES :
>NEW ZEALAND SCIENTISTS HAVE ANNOUNCED A BREAKTHROUGH IN THE FIRST SUBSTANCES
>
>WHICH WILL HELP TO PREVENT NEUROLOGICAL DISEASES SUCH AS ALZHEIMERS,
>PARKINSONS
>AND MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. IT WILL, HOWEVER, TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE THE MEDICINE
>
>WILL BE AVAILABLE.
>
>Does anyone on this list know more about this?
>Regards,
>
>Gerrit Kleynscheldt
>
>Tel:    +27 21 947 8918 (Local 021 947 8918)
>Fax:    +27 21 947 1521 (Local 021 947 1521)
>
>Please note the following:
>Because e-mail can be altered electronically, the integrity of this
>communication cannot be guaranteed.

          \III/
           O-O
           (_)