Fulminant Liver Failure                  15 December 1998

There are many things I'd rather spend my time on, so I really
want to end this Tasmar thing, but this seems important, so here
we go:

"Hundreds of drugs can cause hepatitis that may be indistin-
guishable from acute viral hepatitis. These idiosyncratic drug
reactions are infrequent, unpredictable, and not dose dependent.
Clinical onset usually occurs within two to six weeks after
starting therapy but may occur on the first day that the drug is
administered or not until six months later." (1) And:

"Although hepatitis A is the most common form of acute viral
hepatitis,...The risk of developing fulminant hepatic failure is
higher with hepatitis B, occurring in 1% to 4% of hospitalized
patients... Most cases of fulminant hepatic failure (58% to 79%)
were due to superinfection in chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV)
carriers...Fulminant hepatic failure may also occur during
spontaneous reactivation of hepatitis B infection..." (2) And:

Fulminant liver failure was the cause of the 3 or 4 deaths
among 60,000 or more recipients of tolcapone (Tasmar), that
have prompted the recent worry about safety of that drug, even
though a causal link is far from clear. Notwithstanding
reassurance by Roche of no special risk to users with impaired
liver function (3), I wonder if it would be a good idea for
those proposing to take Tasmar, besides periodic monitoring of
alanine aminotransferase (ALT) level, to be checked for presence
of HBV and, perhaps, have the vaccination that is available.

1. Keefe E; Scientific American Medicine; Vol. 4:Chap. VII:10
2. O'grady J et al in:Diseases of the Liver; Schiff L, Schiff E,
   eds: Chapter 39:1077
3. Tasmar product description leaflet:Clinical Pharmacology

Some listmembers must know a lot more about this than I do-
learned comment would be welcome.. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road