Hello,

I wonder whether some of the complaints I see here about excessive
mail volume would not arise if good use were made of the e-mail
program's mail sorting capabilities.  Most e-mail programs will
provide for setting up mail folders into which mail is automatically
sorted, and for defining rules about when mail gets put into the
folders (e.g., incoming vs. after reading) and based on what (e.g.,
matching words in message header and/or message body). You can even
have all mail containing certain words or all mail from certain
senders automatically deleted before you see it, if you really want
that to happen.  Somewhere under the "Help" function of the e-mail
program there should be an explanation of how to do this. I found
it useful to set up "in" folders for each mailing list to which I
subscribe, plus one default folder for "all other". As the mail is
fetched the program sorts it into the folders. Then I go through the
folders one at a time.  My e-mail program is Pegasus (and it's free).

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990