    Brief comment at the bottom.

-----Original Message-----
From: judith richards <[log in to unmask]>
Patient Groups Compete For Bigger Shares of NIH's Research Funding

By Judith Havemann

Tuesday, December 15, 1998; Page Z10

"Why does the government spend $7 trying to cure AIDS and breast cancer
for every $1 it spends on diabetes?" the purple-and-white card shouts in
stark black letters. "Because they Act Up and people with diabetes are
silent."

It's the charitable equivalent of going negative, and while the language
is unusually blunt, the message is hardly unique to diabetes. Americans
with prostate cancer, muscular dystrophy,<<<<< Parkinson's disease >>>>and
dozens
of others diseases believe that they have been cheated at the
government's research checkout counter. They are no longer willing to
wait for redress.
Oh REALLY?  I have not heard, nor seen, nor read ANYTHING from ANYONE in the
PD community or in any of the professional PD corporations expressing any
such concern whatsoever, except the comment from the employee of one of
those groups passed on to the List telling us (me) to shut up about it.
Hell, those Diabetes people have nothing to complain about being out funded
by AIDS by a measly 7 times - with us it's 80 TIMES!  I WOULD CERTAINLY LIKE
TO SEE SOME DISCUSSION OF THIS ISSUE HERE, aimed at the issue and not at me,
but I am not holding MY breath.  It must be on a Forbidden List somewhere

Sorry, fellow sufferers, I will try not to bring this up yet again.
BBA