In a message dated 12/16/98 11:19:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Bruce Anderson raised the issue of how much research funding each
 disease should receive. >>

While lobbying last summer I interviewed with a Congresman who was studying
where the federal medical payments were being applied. That is which diseases
cost the most to the government and them promulgate a bill that would direct
research dollars be devoted to the diseases in proportion to the cost to the
government. Their early indications were that diabetes costs were about 50 %
of their total medical outlay.

The concept is certainly very reasonable but I am afraid that PD will
certainly  have a small percentage of Federal Research under this scheme of
attack.

Dale Severaance

PS  Can not remember the name of the Congressman