Dr. Meyers, I agree.
SHAM  it was not !
I was present at the original announcement of the impending study
involving fetal transplant research at the Neurological Institute at  Columbia
Presbyterian Medical Center.
 I recall that the word "sham" was briefly bandied about as being
a bit misleading.  The patients involved in the study certainly knew that
half  would be placebos; and each had a 50-50 chance of getting the tissue.
AND...at the  same time  "placebos"  would be offered the  true procedure at
no cost upon successful results of the study. I would have gladly joined
the group had I qualified.

[log in to unmask]  (Mary Manfredi)