hi again mary

At 07:47 1998/12/17 EST, you wrote, in part:
>...I was present at the original announcement of the
>impending study involving fetal transplant research at
>the Neurological Institute at Columbia Presbyterian
>Medical Center. I recall that the word "sham" was briefly
>bandied about as being a bit misleading. The patients
>involved in the study certainly knew that half  would be
>placebos; and each had a 50-50 chance of getting the tissue.
>AND... at the same time "placebos" would be offered the
>true procedure at no cost upon successful results of the study...

the offer of a 'true' procedure
as part of the conditions of being in the study
that ruth ashley so courageously made herself available for
is something that was touched on very lightly by tom brokaw on NBC news

nbc's emphasis seemed to be on the potentially sensational aspect;
i.e. does the public really know 'what's going on?'

i also noticed that they very very carefully
did not mention the type of implant that ruth had;
'fetal cell tissue' seems to be on their 'dirty-word' list

on the positive side
our cyber-sis ruth was shown
playing the piano, riding a bicycle, driving a car

although not specifically mentioned as benefits from the implant
i presume that all of those activities were the result
of her improvement after the true operation

is this another example of good news
coming second to negative 'catastrophizing' and 'sensationalizing'
for the sake of ratings?

i hope not
but maybe i should copy this message
to the wall street journal and to nbc news
and ask them directly

irregardless,
to ruth and ed ashley - you did good!

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada