Bill and all-- as you are well aware, I am fully conscious of the impact of
PD---but I will add some support for what MaryAnn wrote---our 56 y.o.
son-in-law has had diabetes since he was 15, and is now blind in one eye,
with severe heart problems and at risk of needing dialysis soon.  He can't
have  kidney transplant surgery because his heart won't stand it, and he is
also at risk for amputation due to blocked circulation in legs.  He will
probably have to go on disability, so she has taken a second job, as their
med bills are terrific.
This is just to give you a personal perspective on the ravages of early
onset diabetes, not to argue which disease is more "deserving"........

And regarding how to prioritize for research funds, I think one factor they
will consider is how close to a "breakthrough" the researchers are---that
was a point we stressed in our Udall advocacy.  Let's not
get into a "my disease is worse than your disease" argument.......I wish we
could cure everybody!

>Mary Ann and list friends:
>
>I may be wrong in this but I dont believe the severity or the impact of
>diabetes is any where near that of Parkinson's.However,  I could be mistaken
>due to my OWN experiences with PD and lack of knowledge of diabetes.
>Bill

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 80/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "