Janet-
Of course you have a right to an opinion and to express it but when you
respond so strongly you intimidate and cut off debate.  You will notice that
I reprinted almost all the text responses including those which I disagreed
with. I also edited out the thank you's for doing something like this for
the list.

 I know this list means a lot to you but please trust me when I say I am not
trying to attack or hurt the list. It is just that  action when you see
something that you perceive as a problem is just as caring as protecting the
list from perceived attack. I am not attacking so please don't respond like
I am.

The reason I used the anecdote about a member feeling like he would be
crucified was  the tone of your reply.  Your lead-off with asking me -
reminding everyone--  that -I had been away from the list and then
questioned my motivations. If  I were less assertive I would have said to
myself F--- Y-- lady I don't need this sh-t and moved on.  I took your
statements as personal attack but If you say it wasn't meant that way then
the subject is done with.

You don't understand why dissatisfaction comes up every few months maybe
because little has been done to address the problem. It becomes" survival of
the chattiest" and those who don't like it either become inactive or vote
with their feet and are gone.

I would like to see the list be something more than a PD chatline (not that
it shouldn't take that function at times too).  I think there is a lot of
sentiment to look at the problems- as well as the strengths of of the list
.  I propose  that we work toward  change in a positive way and I'm sorry if
you read it as an attack.

Janet,  and listmembers I have to say that it is my observation that the
level and relevance of the discussions on list has IN MY OPINION as well as
that of some very respected contributors  has deteriorated significantly. I
see the list as an organism which can either grow (in quality as well as
quantity),  stagnate,  or wither and die. Its our choice.

LET'S DEBATE NOT INTIMIDATE     (Gee- a few more slogans like that and I
will be ready to challenge Johnny Cochran)
Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin