In a message dated 12/17/98 2:47:24 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 Has the funding for any other disease been broken down into "non-disease?
 Related funding" vs. "disease related funding"?

My understanding of why this breakdown has occurred for PD ad not others is
that these figures came about following an NIH assertion that PD was already
funded with $ 98 million this year.

This didn't seem correct to many Mo advocates.  Senator Mc Cain's office
forced the NIH to send copies of the actual funding proposals.  These were
examined by a panel of "our scientists".

The "Parkinson's related" handle came about when projects that were not
clearly and often clearly not focused on PD were found to be getting part of
those 98 million.  Research for Alzheimer's, AIDS and others were found to
have received a generous portion of the PD pot.  These then began to be called
"PD related."  I do not believe any other disease group has investigated to
that level.

I hope this answers your question.  I believe I have elucidated the basics,
although I do not swear to the accuracy of the details.

Regards,
WHH 55/38/37