hi joe

At 10:57 1998/12/14 -0800, you wrote, in part:
>In June 1998, midway in the 5th year of my diagnosis of PD, I
>was comfortable taking about 800mg/day of levodopa (Sinemet)
>and 10mg/day of selegiline (Eldepryl). Taking the Sinemet (part
>regular and part CR) every 3 hours was troublesome, so I began
>taking tolcapone (Tasmar) 100mg 4 times a day. Like the vast
>majority of 60,000 other users, I was delighted. Only one sleep
>interruption per night, less peak-dose and end-of dose
>fluctuation, and Sinemet intake cut by half to 400mg/day
>Then, after 5 months, I got a notice from Kaiser that if I
>wished to continue Tasmar I must have a monthly blood test
>for elevated alanine aminotransferase (ALT), a sensitive
>indicator of progressive liver disease. This followed the news
>that 3 (maybe 4 now) of the 60,000 Tasmar users had died from
>fulminant hepatitis (acute liver failure), and a series of
>progressively stricter warnings and regulations by authorities.
>I did continue, while trying to learn more, but in the face of
>increasingly bad news, very reluctantly decided to quit Tasmar.
>Now I'm back to 800mg/day of Sinemet, disappointed and unhappy
>I'm now assembling my notes on fulminant hepatitis (acute liver
>failure) which hopefully will end this chore, but since they
>will be long and of limited interest, I'll reserve them for
>those who ask, rather than clutter the whole Parkinsn list.

joe, you and i are at similar 'stages'
i am [was] a 'perfect' candidate for tasmar
and had my prescription in hand when all the furor broke out

!!please!!
'clutter' our list with your ongoing tasmar findings
where else should they go, could they go,
but into our archives?

tasmar is the first genuinely new med for pd
since levodopa and dopamine agonists
we need all the info we can get
our hands on

your sibling in searching

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada