John Levin MD wrote:

> I have a patient ... 63 ... asked me when she should tell ...
> close friends.... concerned about people making a fuss or being
> pitied.... about gossip.

This is a subject that relates to any disease, about which there
there needs to be more exploration and discussion in general, and, I
suspect, in which there is little or no preparation in medical
schools.

While it's no shame to have PD, it's true that other people's
health fair my wife attended said his biggest PD problem was having
tremor in public, due to what he thought would be people's reactions.

Like me, your patient sounds like someone who was raised under the
"what will other people thing..." principle.  People will find out
one way or another.  By telling there is more control over what
people will think. I know this in principle, but I have some
reluctance to act on it.  Even well-meaning others may not know what
to say or how to behave, and I'm not all that good at receiving
offers of help or awkward expressions of genuine concern.  I suspect
that privacy is a way of dealing with such inadequacies.  I still
haven't told everyone where I work, so as to avoid the awkward
situations and not make an issue of my condition, although I suspect
word has gotten around somewhat via the grapevine.

All my social friends and acquaintenances know I have PD (due more to
my wife's openness than my own admissions) and I haven't had any
problems there.

Your patient's close friends must have their own health problems. Are
they keeping these a secret too?  Maybe she will be an inspiration to
them to be more open and relaxed about their own problems.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60 / dx 1990