To: Phil Tompkins
From: Will Kuipers

Re: Physical therapists,

There certainly are differences in therapists. Some are better
teachers than others, some stress repeated motions, others see more in
stretch exercizes. Some are primarily dance instructors, some teach
Tai Chi.
In the two years I have taken part in the programs offered free of
charge by our local Support Group, I followed classes by four
different therapists and they ran the gamut.
Your wife's daughter is right, but one thing should be emphasized:
Doing exercizes is beneficial. Not doing any hastens deterioration
Therefore ANY exercize is good.
Those that treat all joints and muscle groups are better. Start early
( before your case has taken its toll on some areas of your body). Do
them as vigorous as your body will allow.
If they are done well it will hurt. This is not harmful. It takes only
seconds of rest to clear out the lactic acid that is being formed in
your muscles.
I am not a therapist and I only tell you what therapists have told me.

Do it! Start as soon as you can. Do the exercizes as intended, not
half ..ssed.
You will feel better and you stave off the eventual deterioration.

Will A. Kuipers