Dear List,

I've got to get some things off my chest.

First of all, let me say that I have my own personal opinion about whether
President Clinton should be impeached, but my personal opinion doesn't
matter in the scheme of things. What matters is that we are a Republic, not
a Democracy. For those of you who don't know the difference, here is a short
explanation:

Only in a Democracy does the majority rule. In a Republic, representatives
are elected to conduct the affairs of government using whatever knowledge
and ethics they have and their conduct is governed by the Constitution and
the laws of the land. The concept that the majority can be wrong has been
demonstrated many times in history and the founding fathers recognized this
to the point that even the electoral college was created and given the power
to override a popular (majority) vote. So it means nothing to me what the
polls show one way or the other. The process that is going on is dictated by
our Constitution, and I believe it is the most precious (next to the texts
brought together in the Bible) document every created. It is not for the
people to decide by polls and surveys, it is for Congress to decide as our
duly elected representatives.

To those that think our country is going to come to a complete standstill
and that the outcome is going to affect our health care, I say this. During
the serious and severe trials of WWII we lost a president, but the country
didn't collapse. Our resilience as a country is much more than most people
give credit for. That just shows you what a great country we have and that
our forefathers really did create the most fantastic system of government
ever on this earth. Will our health care suffer? I don't know, and frankly I
don't care. If the Constitutional process is not followed, then I can
practically guarantee our health care will eventually suffer, if not in our
lifetime, then in our children's.

My comments would be exactly the same regardless of who the president was or
how great (or awful) he was perceived to be. No one man is responsible for
all the changes (for good or bad) that take place during his (or her)
administration. Should have absolutely nothing to do with following
Constitutional law regardless of where it takes you. Our very freedom to
even do what we do on this list depends on the sanctity of that document.

If this starts a new thread and/or continues some that are already in
existence, I plan to stay with the list until it breaks, but like others It
is getting to be too much for me to manage. It is too bad that more than
half of the volume is coming from two people, but as one of them would say,
they have that right.

(Get off soapbox. Put it away for some future need. Say goodbye.)

It's been fun.

Happy Holidays.

Goodbye, and God Bless.

Darwin