 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses     14 deg. F   :-) icy wind
  I think our List is losing some of its wonderful vibrancy, by
eliminating the side-chatter we had.  I never worried about it-there's
always the Delete button.

.  There's an old Jewish story about playing bridge.(or canasta -take
your pick):

   It takes four people to play the card game, PLUS a kibbitzer, a
tsitsimacher (the one who says "ts, ts ts," when a mistake is made} and
the person who makes the coffee. The 3 extra people create a context, a
background to filter, or at times to react to and amplify, or to clarify
what's being said.

   The list seems too deadened.  There's too little interaction.  It
feels that way to me, anyway.

   I also think we are all sensitive enough to avoid some of the unneeded
postings to the List as a whole.   So what do you folks think now?
Should we return to the original format?

IVAN