The following sounds like it'd be a "natural" to make a pallidotomy
even safer then it already is...

Barb Mallut

NEW YORK, Dec 22 (Reuters Health) -- Magnets may soon help
neurosurgeons perform delicate operations on the brain with less risk
of complications.

At a press conference on Tuesday, neurosurgeons at Washington
University in St. Louis, Missouri, announced a medical first: on
December 17th, they used a magnet-tipped flexible catheter to take a
tissue biopsy from a brain tumor in a 31-year-old man.

The new technique, the result of over a decade of research, allows
the surgeon to follow a curved pathway to reach targeted areas of the
brain. This helps in maneuvering around vital brain areas, such as
those involved in speech or vision, instead of going through them, as
is the case with rigid surgical instruments.

Describing the magnet-guided technique, Dr. Ralph Dacey told Reuters
Health that ``you can push a piece of cooked spaghetti, but it's
better to pull it.''

Before the procedure, surgeons mapped out a predetermined, nonlinear
pathway for the flexible catheter through the brain. ''We chose sites
that we wanted to avoid,'' he explained.

The Magnetic Surgery System, a product of St. Louis-based Stereotaxis
Inc., uses external magnetic fields to direct the magnet-tipped
catheter  the target area in the brain along the route planned by the
surgeon.

``The objective of the biopsy in this case was to specifically design
chemotherapy and radiation therapy,'' Dacey said. ``The patient is
now home and doing well,'' he added.

``We've always used our muscle power'' in neurosurgery, Dacey said.
``Now we're using magnetic power.''

Dacey plans to perform a total of five surgeries using the Magnetic
Surgery System in clinical trials before submitting the device for
Food and Drug Administration approval.