Rats! (However, this will not alter my chocolate consumption!)

December 21, 1998
NUTRITION NEWS FOCUS
"Nutrition news is important.  We help you understand it!"

Today's Topic: Do Chocolate Lovers Live Longer?

A study of 7,841 Harvard University male graduates found that those
who indulged in chocolate and sugar confectionery lived almost a year
longer than those who never ate those candies.  This study was
published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ)
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/317/7174/1683, carried on the
wire services, and suggested that the antioxidants in chocolate might
have a health benefit.

The questionnaire used in this study could not distinguish between
chocolate and other sugary confections.  A table of results show
essentially identical characteristics of men who ate candy and those
who did not for age, body-mass index, intake of red meat and
vegetables, yet there were highly significant differences indicated.

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Long-time readers of the BMJ know that
each Christmas issue is one of whimsy.  This issue also included the
CRACKPOT study - Collaborative Randomized And Controlled Kennet
Piscatorial Options Trial which was a study of trout fishing using
different flies in an English river.  Those authors concluded that a
prolongation of doctors’ leisure time has serious implications for
the National Health Service.  The authors suggested that urgent
funding of a large multiriver study is needed.  In the Harvard candy
study, the authors declared in the conflict of interest section that
they had a decided weakness for chocolate and confessed to an average
consumption of one bar a day each.  Obviously, some reporters are not
aware of satire when the see it.

Subscriber report:  2665 readers in 46 countries.
Please recommend Nutrition News Focus to your family and friends.
If you like, point your browser to
http://www.nutritionnewsfocus.com/cgi-bin/birdcast.cgi
where you'll find an easy recommendation form.

DISCLAIMER: The information in Nutrition News Focus is intended
only to help you understand the Nutrition News.  We do not recommend
any treatment, food or supplement.  It is not intended to replace
the advice of a physician.  If you read something in this newsletter
that in any way contradicts what your physician tells you, TAKE YOUR
PHYSICIAN'S ADVICE, NOT OURS.

Copyright 1998 Nutrition News Focus Inc.

*  Send a blank email to [log in to unmask]
*  Or visit our website at http://www.NutritionNewsFocus.com
To change your email address, send a message to
   with the other address in the Subject: line
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"