>>Interestingly, the (NIH) RFA does not mention the Udall Bill.  Instead
there are a few sentences which say that it is related to the
priority given to chronic disabling conditions under the Public
Health Service program "Healthy People 2000," which has been in place
for several years.  Can anyone explain this?<<

I don't have an answer but one might surmise that the NIH is not interested
in going out of its way to acknowledge a law that earmarks funding for a
specific disease.  They have fought earmarking all along and will continue
to fight it.

Nonetheless, the NIH is very well aware of the Udall bill and pressure in
Congress regarding PD research as evidenced by  >> in recognition of
continuing Congressional interest to intensify and to expand basic and
clinical research in Parkinson's Disease..."<<  They are listening and
reacting positively while maintaining a stance of inpartiality.

Despite the failure of Congress to appropriate a specific dollar amount to
PD research, we can take pride in the fact that a four year long effort by
grassroots individuals and our professional advocates has produced real
results.  Had it not been for the Udall Bill there would have been no
initiative to fund Centers of Excellence nor would there be acknowledgement
of >>...recent research progress and opportunity<<  We may not be getting
all we want but we are making progress.

In the coming year it may be tougher for us to keep up the momentum without
a drive to pass a specific bill or to appropriate the funds that the bill
calls for.  Certainly, now is a good time to contact newly elected
representatives who need to be educated about PD and the need for increased
research.

-Ken Aidekman

Visit the Parkinson's Unity Walk website:  www.parkinsonwalk.org

Fund the Research.  Find the Cure.