 Date: 12/12/97 23:59
 From:  <Dennis Greene >
 Subject: Nutrasweet/aspartame

Around the 10th of November a message entitled MSG was posted to the
list. It spoke of the dangers associated with consuming aspartame
(aka nutrasweet). In response to a statement that aspartame causes
changes to the dopamine levels in the brain, and in a spirit of "
What do I have to lose?",  I stopped drinking diet drinks, my
principal source of aspartame.

I have observed the following reactions. (Please note that I
acknowledge that most of what follows is subjective.  I am also aware
that I may be experiencing a placebo affect, though I do not believe
this to be the case).

1.  Within 36 hours of stopping aspartame my right side dyskinesia
increased to the level of my pre-pallidotomy left side dyskinsia.
This was quickly controled by decreasing my daily levadopa intake by
150 mg

2.  Whilst initially able to function well on the reduced levadopa
level, after a week I needed to increase my dose.  Since then I have
found that the severe dyskinesia tends to occur towards the end of a
two day period and can be stopped by reducing the next dose of
levadopa by 25mg.

3.  For reasons I cannot yet explain I occasionly take a dose which
does not work, leaving me "off" for up to three hours.  The next dose
works normally. To put this in perspective, I am well versed in the
subtleties of timing meds, mealtimes, protien, etc

4.  The transition from "on" to "off" seems more abrupt

5.  The "on" periods not affected by severe dyskinesia (ie most of
the time) are the best I have experienced in years.  They no longer
have the "brittle" quality which they had previously and I feel
closer to my memory of normal.

6.  Many friends and acquantences who have encountered me recently
during a good "on" period have remarked that I am looking well.
This takes on more significance when I tell you that this list
includes my GP, my neurologist (met in neutral territory when we
passed in a corridor - cheapest consult I've had in years)  and the
person who conducted 6 months of post pallidotomy tests on me, the
last just two months ago.

Conclusions

I am reasonably certain that in my case at least, aspartame has had
the affect of reducing the amount of naturally ocurring dopamine. I
don't think the amount involved is large, but it is significant. I
would urge any PWP who regularily uses this substence to exclude it
from their diet for a period to check what, if any, affects it may be
having on them.

I shan't be using it again.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10