On 24 Dec, Dennis Greene wrote:

>  The only other 'change'
> that bears mention is that I still control a tendency to dyskinesia by
> adjusting my meds, but these days I adjust my permax not my sinemet.  BTW
> this is done with the knowledge and concurrence of my neurologist.

Hello Dennis, I was interested to read your comment about holding the Sinemet
and varying the permax, because I came to the same conclusion. For the past 6
years. I have taken the same dosage of Sinemet (Madopar actually, but it is
effectively the same) and allowed the dose of permax to slowly increase ,
always trying to resist an increase as long as possible. My levodopa intake
works out at a moderate 800 mg per day, and I now take 4 mg of Permax. I am
convinced that this is a very good way to handle the drugs, for the following
reasons:

1/ It must be the slowest possible way to accustom your body to the Dopamine
Agonist of your choice.

2/ If you can start this scheme with a small amount of Agonist, it permits
you to go for 4 to 6 years (depending on your particular rate of change) -
6 years in my case - with virtually no apparent change in your external
appearance. How many prescriptions can claim to embody this sort of forward
planning?

3/ This procedure is consistent with my philosophy of taking the minimum
necessary quantity of levodopa, thus avoiding diskinesias of many kinds,
and represents the safest way to use levodopa.

Does anyone else do this ?

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>