> Quote from Janet Patterson's "PMID: 8451009: Aspartame use in Parkinson's
> disease" (Dec 25)
> "To determine the effect of aspartame on levodopa-treated Parkinson's
> disease (PD) patients, we studied 18 PD patients with protein-sensitive
> motor fluctuations by administering in a double-blind and single-crossover
> design, on alternate days, aspartame (600 or 1,200 mg) and placebo."

The whole study has to be totally examined, and as we go through the
above, it seems to me that the details of the study is inadequate  as
presented here.  We know that the timing of  the ingestion of Sinemet
AND and protein containing food products are critical to the efficacy of
the medication.  If aspartame is ingested at differing times its effect
might be negated when in fact if taken at the same time it might have a
serious influence.

From other comments seen posted here, I would suggest that there is no
methanol nor any other alcohol in this food additive.  Aspartame is a
simple molecule comprising two different amino acids (aspartic acid and
phenylalanine) which are obtained again after hydrolysis.  These amino
acids are very common and rather ubiquitous in the foods we eat.  Should
we heed every  alarm bell when abnormal individuals panic, we would
reduce our diet to nothing because even 'organic' foods are full of
chemicals even if it is but the natural addition of cattle or equine
excrements to growing vegetables.

Good luck and Bon Appetit

Michel Margosis