>Would someone more familiar with scientific jargon than I am, please advise
>me as to the meaning of the phrase "single crossover design, on alternate
>days, aspartame (600 or 1,200 mg) and placebo", in the context of the first
>quote below.

I echo the same concerns, Dennis, of the testing procedure used. The
context that also bothers me is do users only ingest "on alternate days,
aspartame". I would assume highly unlikely.

>Am I correct in believing that it means that every 24 hours the test
>subjects alternated between taking aspartame (in either a 600mg or 1200mg
>dose) and a placebo?  If I am correct in this, it would mean that the study
>does not after all invalidate my own, admittedly subjective, experience in
>which the changes occurred "within 36 hours".
I personally have tried your experiment and have also experienced changes
with the discontinued use of aspartame. My results were not as noticeable
as yours but then my stage of my disease is perhaps neither similar nor
advanced as yours.

>Which leaves this little Cavia porcellus burrowing back under his straw and
>once more happy to leave well enough alone as regards his own hard won, if
>less than perfect, equilibrium.  Or to put that another way, I no longer
>intend to reintroduce aspartame to my diet (at least not without a more
>compelling reason).
I choose also not to reintroduce aspartame without further compelling
reasons.

>For what it's worth:
>1.    I subscribe to no conspiracy theories,
I do not subscribe to those either but I see the original post did rattle
a few "glass house" windows.

>2.    I too have a tendency to be built like Hoss of Bonanza fame and wish I
>COULD use aspartame,
I would also like to use it but for the same reason but also for several
other different reasons

>3.    Prior to my personal experiment I had taken no position on aspartame.
>My experiment produced a result. I reported that result to my doctors and to
>the list.  I said that I was "reasonably certain that in my case at least,
>aspartame has had the affect of reducing the amount of naturally occurring
>dopamine".  I suggested that, in light of my experience "any PWP who
>regularly uses this substance ..... exclude it from their diet FOR A PERIOD
>to check what, IF ANY, effects it may be having on them".
My position after my personal experience with my test has resulted in
exclusion from my diet any use of aspartame..

>The experiment is so simple to conduct (just stop deliberately using
>aspartame for a period of about a week or so) and its results of such
>fundamental importance to us as individuals and as a community that I can't
>see why anyone would not try it. If this makes me a member of the "lunatic
>fringe" - so be it.
I guess that makes two of us in that same "lunatic fringe" category.
I tried to prevent saying  " you are not alone", but feared of being
accused of being part of the X-Files conspiracy.

Don  pd+ 50/2