Hi all,

        On Sun, 26 Dec 1998, janet paterson wrote:

> >* I will use the carriage-return frequently and guarantee that no lines
> >  in any message I send will be longer than 80 characters.
>
> hmmm
> i use the 'carriage-return' [aka the 'return' key] all the time
> for my 'style of writing'
> but otherwise i have my 'eudora light' e-mail software set
> so that there are no return commands embedded in the text
> thus ensuring [i hope] that the receiver's settings
> as to line width will take precedence -
> i may be right or wrong here -
> i arrived at this conclusion by guess and by golly
> due to lack of de-geeked instructions
>
> quick nerd question: where does the term 'carriage-return' originate?

        The  reason for this (and other) guidelines that I use is that
     the lowest common denominator for all Internet e-mail programs is
     a  24  line  by 80 character ASCII text window.  Now, I know that
     there are all kinds of "better" ways of sending,  receiving,  and
     displaying messages across the Internet, but if this guideline is
     followed, then it is guaranteed that *anybody* can read it.

        But, I really wanted to address the "nerd" question ... :-)

        The term "carriage return" dates back to the  days  of  manual
     typewriters.   The "carriage" was the part of the typewriter that
     you rolled the paper into and moved back  and  forth  for  typing
     characters on the paper.  A "carriage return" often involved man-
     ually pushing a lever that advanced the  paper  (actually  rolled
     the carriage) and at the same time could be used to push the car-
     riage back to the left side of the paper.

        When electric typewriters started becoming popular, there  was
     a "carriage return" key which accomplished the same task electri-
     cally with no manual intervention necessary.

        Now you see why I don't post often ... ;-) what probably could
     have  been  said  in four or five words I took four or five para-
     graphs to explain. ;-)  It's a curse, I tell you a curse! ;-)   I
     can  never  explain  things  in  a few words -- I have to explain
     things in excruciating detail (not to mention using  the  biggest
     words I can find ;-) ).

        We  now  return  you  to  your regularly scheduled Parkinson's
     chat.  May you always grok in fullness ...

Bill--
  ...who heard a wise man say "Never play leapfrog with a Unicorn."
.___. William A. ....._..._ .......7177 Heritage Drive+- \ --- ) / ------+
..... http://w3.one.net/~wap/ .... [log in to unmask] .......+------- `\, \ \ --+
                                                                ||\ \`|,
                                                               _|| `=`-'