Interesting that you should bring this up. My current
project involves doing this very thing - setting up a
place where PWP (and others) can come for a vacation.
Knowing the thrill of having PD, yet enjoying the
country and the animals, I will be figuring out someway
to combine the two into a very low cost retreat.

Nothing fancy, mind you, but a way to "get away" for a
few days to a place where other PWP's are that know
about the physical and mental problems we have. The
"knowing" is important but the retreat part will be a
lot more important - walking in the woods, talking with
the animals, riding safely on horseback with a horse
you can trust, even feeding the rabbits and scratching
a few pigs, gathering at night by a campfire not only
for tales of the wild west, but for some inner
reflection into what is really important in our lives
(I don't know the answer to this either, so I'll be
learning along with the rest of us.)

Affordable means based on a sliding scale, maybe even a
grant if someone can't afford it. This will all be the
part of an extensive program called Habitat for Horses,
Inc., designed to bring abused, disabled or hurting
horses together with abused, disabled or hurting
people. That is a special combination that can start
each on the road to restoration of faith in ourselves
and the world around us.

http://www.habitatforhorses.org/

For those that think this is a sales trick, wait just a
moment. I have not nor will I ever draw one single
dollar from this operation for my own use. Your horse,
however, will get extra hay for the night.

Jerry

From:    Mary Legan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ? Ideas for Get Away from it all places

Camilla & Jerry Finch recently provided us with info.
on "Rest Ministries".
The sentiment in the title is exactly what I am needing
right now, but don't
know how to find it.  I've been going thru severe
stress, & now for well-being
would just like to get to someplace pleasant &
recuperative.  How does one
find retreat centers, perhaps where there is a ministry
of love,
kindness..........

Or, what might some other ideas be?

M.Dawn 56/6