Dear Parkinson's List Members,

I would like to extend a heart felt thank you for all the suggestions on
the type of phones that are out there which you have recommended.  Below
are some of the responses that I received.  Most of the prices of the
telephones were from several years back, but it should give you a general
price range.  They differed in features as well as in price range. Here
were the following suggestions:

1.  Check with your phone company before you rush out and buy a speaker
phone.  Many phones companies offer free phone accesories or free phones
to those who send them a signed letter from their MD stating they're
phyiscally handicapped or disabled.  Also, PAC Bell offers many free
phone accesories and services to the disabled.

2.  The majority of you suggested Headset telephones.  They're similar
to the ones that the telephone operators in the old days used and
connect to the phone like a headphone on a walkman does (I think they've
even come out with cordless headsets).

Phone:  Platronics
Location:  Office Depot

Phone:  Panasonic C
Cost:  $179. + 28 (headset) = $217.00

Other phones available at:
   Location:  Radio Shack
              Tandy
              AT&T

3.  Speaker phones varied in cost and features.

Phone:  GE #2-9315
Location:  Wal-Mart
Price:  $30.00
Features:  Full speakerphone, 12 number memory locations, handset volume
control, ringer volume control, excellent reception (doesn't sound like
you're in a tunnel)

Phone:  Panasonic 10CH
Location:  Circuit City
Price:  $90.00
Features: Autoscan
Disadvantage:  Need to be close to the speaker when talking

Phone:  Northwestern Bell Phone #76500-2
Disadvantage:  Need to be close to the speaker when talking

Phone:  AT&T Digital
Price: $300.00
Features:  Portable phone that ensures price (unable to be heard by
scanners or neighbors' portables)

Phone:  Sano Super-Commander Noise Reduction Model
Location:  Service Merchandise
Price:  $150.00
Features:  Portable phone, can converse 6-8 feet away from the speaker

Phone:  Lucent 906
Location:  Wal-Mart or K-Mart
Price:  $35.00
Features:  Intercome and volume control

Phone:  Sony 25 Channel Auto Scan Super Comander Noise Reduction
Price:  $90.00
Features:  Speaker on head and base unit, intercom, and large keypad

Hope this helps anyone wishing to purchase a headphone, speakerphone, or
cordless phones.

Happy Shopping! :)
Betty, CG