The following is a message from Michael Claeys,
Community Outreach Coordinator for the Parkinson's
Action Network:     please reply to     [log in to unmask]

On December 24, Ken Aidekman wrote the message
below regarding the recent NINDS Request For
Application regarding five new Parkinson's Centers
of Excellence:

>>Interestingly, the (NIH) RFA does not mention
the Udall Bill.  Instead
>there are a few sentences which say that it is
related to the
>priority given to chronic disabling conditions
under the Public
>Health Service program "Healthy People 2000,"
which has been in place
>for several years.  Can anyone explain this?<<

>I don't have an answer but one might surmise that
the NIH is not interested
>in going out of its way to acknowledge a law that
earmarks funding for a
>specific disease.  They have fought earmarking
all along and will continue
>to fight it.

>Nonetheless, the NIH is very well aware of the
Udall bill and pressure in
>Congress regarding PD research as evidenced by
>> in recognition of
>continuing Congressional interest to intensify
and to expand basic and
>clinical research in Parkinson's Disease..."<<
They are listening and
>reacting positively while maintaining a stance of
impartiality.

>Despite the failure of Congress to appropriate a
specific dollar amount to
>PD research, we can take pride in the fact that a
four year long effort by
>grassroots individuals and our professional
advocates has produced real
>results.  Had it not been for the Udall Bill
there would have been no
>initiative to fund Centers of Excellence nor
would there be acknowledgment
>of >>...recent research progress and
opportunity<<  We may not be getting
>all we want but we are making progress.

>In the coming year it may be tougher for us to
keep up the momentum without
>a drive to pass a specific bill or to appropriate
the funds that the bill
>calls for.  Certainly, now is a good time to
contact newly elected
>representatives who need to be educated about PD
and the need for increased
>research.

Ken is absolutely correct -- the eight Parkinson's
Centers are the direct result of the Parkinson's
community's advocacy campaign and the increased
Congressional interest that campaign has inspired.

The NIH will likely testify to Congress that these
Centers are evidence of the NIH's "rigorous"
Parkinson's research agenda, and thereby continue
to resist implementation of the Udall Act.  While
the Parkinson's community must continue to
aggressively campaign for full funding of the
Udall Act, it is important to recognize that the
advocacy efforts are producing the desired
results: more money for Parkinson's researchers.
It may not be as much or as soon as we'd all
prefer, but the hard work is paying off.  That is
something everyone in the Parkinson's community
should take pride in and draw inspiration from.

The only point I where I would differ with Ken is
his suggestion that it may be difficult to
maintain momentum in the coming year.  Even
considering the distraction caused by ongoing
impeachment proceedings, there are quite a few
reasons to expect considerable Congressional
action relating to Parkinson's research.

The biggest priority of the Spring likely will be
requesting Congressional oversight hearings on the
current NIH Parkinson's research program.  There
are several committees with the jurisdiction to
hold such hearings, and information will be
forthcoming about the progress of hearing
requests.

Another ongoing effort will be further scientific
analysis of the individual grant awards that make
up the NIH's Parkinson's program for fiscal year
1998.  Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI) who got the
FY97 list from NIH has already sent in the request
for the FY98 list of grants and abstracts.

These ongoing projects will assist in the overall
effort to secure appropriations sufficient to
fully fund the Udall Act in the FY2000 budget that
Congress will approve in the fall of 1999.  Of
course this will continue to be the primary focal
point for all advocacy efforts.

The 1999 grassroots campaign will include a major
petition drive.  This drive will begin in January
and conclude with an organized and publicized
presentation of petitions during the 1999 Public
Policy Forum in the Summer of 1999.

Once again this year, the Forum will focus a
concentrated direct lobbying effort in the offices
of the most influential Members of Congress.
contd. in Parkinson's Action Network-NINDS part 2of2
These are some of the major planned events and
programs for 1999 -- and more information about
each of them will be forthcoming in the new year.
What cannot be predicted, however, is the
increased interest in Parkinson's generated by
scientific breakthroughs (remember that "stem
cell" research will be a hot topic on Capitol Hill
in '99) and announcements like that of Michael J.
Fox.  Parkinson's may once again be thrust in the
national spotlight at any time.

The final thing I want to mention will be the
first thing to actually happen.  We expect our
Congressional champions to initiate a letter to
NIH Director Harold Varmus reminding him of the
strong report language passed with the FY99 budget
and the continued Congressional interest in seeing
an increased and more focused Parkinson's research
program.  We will be asking all interested Members
of Congress to sign onto the letter, and that
means early January will be the time to contact
your Senators and Representatives.  We expect the
letter to be sent on or about January 19th -- one
month before the NIH is expected to report to the
House and Senate Appropriations Committees
regarding their efforts to implement the
directives included in the FY99 report language.

Next week we will post a message describing this
letter and the needed activities in greater
detail.  Any questions can be directed to the
Parkinson's Action Network at (800) 850-4726.

The Network wishes a happy New Year to the
everyone in the Parkinson's Community.  1999 is
sure to be another year of accomplishment if we
all work together to achieve our common goals.
All the best.