Hi Russ and other Inkshedders,

        I am on the CASLL listserv, and to a large extent that now does for me
much of what the newsletter used to, including the annual Inkshed call.
The reasons for publishing a newsletter that you cite in your 1st paragraph
do not seem to me sufficient grounds for the effort involved (and I am very
much aware of how much effort that is because I edit, and often write much
of, our faculty assn newsletter).   I think we should either let the
newsletter pass into history or reimagine it.

        My reimagining would look a bit like but beyond your archives--and I agree
with Roger that the archives themselves are a very useful project (which I
can imagine, for instance, as the basis of seminar discussions).  Our email
discussions are very off the cuff, not to mention other-than-lineal.   What
I would really like to see in a newsletter--in addition to a bit of news
and announcements of opportunities--is what I think of as the next step
beyond edited versions of our email discussions.  I'd like to see articles
that are more of a "summing"--what were the intriguing questions raised,
the various perpectives brought to bear, the implications for further
thought, etc.?--of those discussions of  "the literary essay,"
"professional writing" and whether there's such a thing as a "Canadian"
approach to teaching writing.  Of course, I'm suggesting this because I
believe such "summing" (I use the term in the Burkean sense, of course) is
both possible and useful.  And because I realize I do not actually have any
image or summary of these discussions in my mind anymore--can''t remember
even my own contributions.  I'm also thinking of such "summing" as
something that could be an intermediary step between of-the-cuff discussion
and more thorough/finished discussions (of the sort that constitute journal
publication).   [I didn't say that very well, but I trust the concept is
familiar to most Inkshedders.]

Rick