CASLL folks,

At Ohio State I am enrolled in Andrea Lunsford's graduate comp course and I
have decided to do a term project on the current issues in Canadian
composition.  You, only you, can help me at this distance.

I would like to use e-mail discussion on this listserv to quote or refer to
in my essay.  What I need is some material to bring us up-to-date from
Roger Graves' (Inkshed 1994) excellent book on the subject.  (By the way, I
am also looking for more recent published material on this, and ref.s to
other non-listserv people I should ask.)

So those of you who are in-the-know, and those willing to conjecture:  what
do you think are the recent trends in writing instruction, the political /
economic / pedagogical battles, the hopes of writing instructors and
visions writing program administrators, grad students in the field, and
tutors?   I have a sense that WAC is important (seeing our previous
discussion on this listserv on Canadian university 'traditions' in writing
instruction, which I will likely use too).  But it might not be the same
type of WAC all over the country.  I'm also interested in what role English
and Education departments have, or other departments such as General
studies at U of Calgary.  I expect ESL to be an important issue here, too.
What kinds of courses? methods? theories?

Please tell me if you'd rather not be quoted and made (in)famous in my
essay which I hope will be published.  (As Russ pointed out to me, it's
already "published" on the listserv and listserv archives.) In the meantime
this discussion will probably be enlightening to all on the listserv.

I hope I've worded this well... I agonized over it before sending it out,
confirming the idea with Russ and A. Pare (thanks).  Maybe it'll also
convince you to respond if I tell you I'm a B.A. and M.A. from the U of
Alberta (Hi, Lahoucine Ouzgane!!) and wish to return to Canada to make
myself useful with my OSU Rhet/comp degree.  And I will have my essay done
before the Inkshed conference, which I plan to attend.  So, please join in
with your 2 cents.

Tania Smith