On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, CARNAHAN SHIRLEY E wrote:

> ... the use of the complex sentence having
> become a lost art.

     My former colleague Sheridan Baker (the "Practical Stylist" man)
always required his students to write "hundred-word sentences" precisely
to make them work at complex sentence structure.  Better, I think, to make
one's students competent at long sentences than to urge avoiding them.
                        William Ingram
Professor of English, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1003
e-mail: [log in to unmask]             fax (departmental): 734 763-3128