Hi all,

Because I've sometimes been so long-winded, here are brief summaries
of some encouraging PD-related news items which can be read in full
via www.yahoo.com:

The FDA approved the drug Provigil, made by Cephalon Inc, for
treatment for narcolepsy.  In 1999 Cephalon will begin Phase I
trials of Provigil for fatigue associated with MS and PD. Reported
by Reuters, Dec 28, 1998.

The journal Lancet (no number given) reports that German doctors at
the University of Konstanz have developed a regime of exercise
therapy to treat the focal hand dystonia which guitarists and
pianists can develop.  The fingers not affected by dystonia are
immobilized by splints, while the affected finger is intensively
exercised.  Significant improvements were realized, and some of the
musicians were able to resume performing.  Reported by BBC on-line,
Jan 1, 1999.

SIBIA Neurosciences, Inc. of La Jolla CA announced the start of a
second Phase 2 study of their subtype-selective nicotinic agonist
SIB-1508Y for mid-to-late-stage PD patients, who will also receive
half their usual dose of L-DOPA.  The initial Phase 2 study, which is
still ongoing, tests SIB-1508Y as the initial PD drug in early stage
PD patients.  SIBIA aims to assess the drug as treatment of both
cognitive and motor deficits of PD.

Jeffrey McKelvy, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer, stated, "Because
we have seen synergistic effects of SIB-1508Y and L-DOPA in primate
models, we hope that its use with L-DOPA will permit reduced
exposure to L-DOPA.  We are also optimistic that our continuing
clinical studies will show that SIB-1508Y can stop the progression of
Parkinson's disease, reflecting recently reported neuroprotection
effects of SIB-1508Y in animal models."  From a company news release,
Jan 4, 1998.

"Cutting back on the amount of food you eat and the calories could
help cut your risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease...
according to a University of Kentucky study. The study finds that
eating less makes nerve cells in the brain more resistant to several
age-related brain disorders. The findings appear in this month's
issue of 'Annals of Neurology.'"  Reported in a Louisville Kentucky
newspaper, Monday January 4, 1999.

-- If we only knew, would we have eaten differently?   It only says
"could".

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990