No no no no no!!  The new millenium does not begin on January 1, 2001. It
begins when it begins - January 1, 2000!!!!

The first year of the first millenium (AD) had to be the year 0000.  Call
it "zero."  It began with no weeks, no months, and no year. Zero.
Zero-zero-zero-zero.

That year, 0000, started the calendar as we know it, whatever tale this
sixth century "scholar" fellow Dioniyissiiius Exigeus tells Linda (and if
he wants to come on the list to argue his point, I'm prepared to take him
on!!!  His handlers can contact mine - they know my email.)

Consider:  The first month was January, 0000.  The first month couldn't
have been January, 0001, because year 0001, moving on 0002, had not yet
been achieved - it took twelve months to go from 0000 to 0001!  Ya gotta do
the months to get the years, Dioniyissiiius!  (He must've been an ugly kid
- otherwise, why did his parents give him this name?  Part of his problem?)

Of course, they could have fractionalized the first year.  Something like
000&1/12th.  But no, that would have been too much work, slicing all those
little beads on their abacuses.

The problem, it seems pretty clear now, was that in those days, people were
just trying to do things TOO FAST!!!!  Dioniyissiiius's - my digits are
fatiguing, so let me call him Dion from now on - obviously had a popular
predecessor, about two dozen generations earlier, a kind of guru among the
marketing types back at the BC/AD turn, who was taking the short cut to
what promised to be a more lucrative future, knocking out an ENTIRE YEAR
called "0000".  (Some historians argue that he had been bought out by the
merchants in the bazaar, the money-lenders, the camel-traders, so that they
wouldn't have to deal with the year 0000!!  I mean,you can understand why -
doesn't 0000 look suspicious, kind of foreboding, on a check?  And how,
VISA argued, could a current BC cardholder tell the merchant that his card
was expiring in "1-0000 AD?")

All those letters and numbers!  Y2K would pale by comparison.

And then there were some people around who were projecting - I think their
name was Fox - a "big picture" deal for a future century.

One final convincing point, somewhat redundant but at this stage who cares
(then I really have to go).  Linda says "the first day after Christ was
considered January 1, 1, the second January 2, 1, and so on...  As a
result, the new millenium (or 3rd millenium) starts on January 1, 2001."
Linda, how could "1,1" have been achieved without first going through the
twelve months that add up to "1,1?"  Hence, it was "January 1, 0," not "1,
1."  Or, it was "January 0, 1/12th," to be precise.

And finally again ("finallys" may be used more than once over a span of 20
centuries), Linda reasons, apparently to explain OUR confusion, not Dion's,
"Just consider (that) we are currently in the 20th century (in the
1900s)."  Well, that proves the point!  Years 0000-0099 were the first
century, so isn't it logical that years 1900-1999 are the 20th century?"

Linda, I hope you realize that you are being duped and manipulated!  So if
you have the email address of that Dion Exigeus fellow, please forward this
message to him. You are too valuable to the list to be lost! So tell
Exigeus I AM READY!!! any place, any weapon ... and any time - my calendar,
of course.

                                Bob Dolezal