I hope everyone who's sick of this topic deleted this message without reading
it.  Obsessive pedant that I am, I can't resist sticking my oar in here...

It sounds to me like most of the discussion on this topic has been people trying
to convince other people that one method of numbering years makes more sense
than some other method.  It's kind of irrelevent which method makes the most
sense, because the standard has already been established and used for centuries.
 That standard says...

1. There is no year zero.
2. The first century AD includes the first hundred years AD (1 - 100 AD).  The
second century AD includes the second set of 100 years AD (101 - 200).  The
first millenium AD includes years 1 - 1000 and the second millenium includes
years 1001 to 2000.

Like it or not, that's the standard.  If you use a different one, your BC dates
will not correspond to the ones used by historians.  (Of course, it won't matter
much -- when talking about events that happened 2000 years ago, most people
won't care if they're off by a year or two.)

I know this system LOOKS like it's at odds with the "new math number line" some
of us used in grade school, but I think the two are quite consistent.  If you
set up the years as numbers on a standard number line, they're going to look
like points, but a year is really an interval (that is, a year is a period of
time, not a moment in time).  For me, the key to reconciling the paradox is to
treat each number on the line (1, 2, 3, ...) as an instant in time (namely, the
stroke of midnight on a particular New Year's eve).  So the "1" represents
midnight December 31, 1 AD, and the actual 365-day period historians call 1 AD
is the piece of number line that lies between the "0" and the "1".  (I call the
piece of number line "1 AD" because that's what historians call the first year
of the new age.  They COULD have chosen to call it "0 AD", but they didn't, and
that set us up for the calendar wars raging today...)

0---1---2---3-->
A===B

In the arcane diagram above:

A is Midnight Dec 31, 1 BC
B is Midnight Dec 31, 1 AD
=== is the year 1 AD

The year 1 AD ends just as you reach the "1" on the number line.  This is the
end of the "first year AD".

If you extend the line, you'll see that the year 10 AD ends just as you reach
the "10".  This marks the end of the "first decade AD" (that is, the end of the
first 10-year period following the zero).

It should be pretty easy to see that the analogy holds for the first century
(which ends at the end of 100 AD), the first millenium (ending at the end of
1000 AD), and the second millenium (ending December 31, 2000 AD).  Therefore,
under the standard system, the third millenium and the 21st century begin
January 1, 2001.

I hope this makes as much sense to you, gentle reader, as it does to me, but it
really doesn't matter much.  My Y2K-non-compliant software will STILL be blowing
up on Jan 1, 2000 no matter how I try to reason with it.

Now that's off my chest.  I counting on your flames to keep my place warm as we
begin this one-thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-ninth year...  :-)