I'm sorry if this is a repeat - but since I haven't seen it, I thought I'd
share it.

Parkinson's drug relieves restless-leg symptoms
December 30, 1998
(NYT Syndicate) - People whose legs jump, itch, tingle or feel otherwise
restless at night (and for some, throughout the day) may get relief from a
medication used to treat Parkinson's disease, according to researchers at
Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

In a small study of patients with moderate to severe restless legs syndrome
(RLS), the drug pergolide (marketed as Permax by Athena Neurosciences)
improved sleeping patterns and decreased the number of hours per day symptoms
occurred.

RLS is a sleep disorder in which a person experiences unpleasant sensations in
the legs characterized as creeping, crawling, tingling, pulling or painful.
These sensations usually occur in the calf but may be felt from the thigh to
the ankle and may affect one or both legs.

Moving, walking, rubbing or massaging the legs may bring temporary relief, but
most sufferers lose sleep and many also suffer symptoms during the day. In
many cases, the cause of RLS is unknown, but it can be related to an
underlying medical condition such as iron deficiency, kidney failure or
diabetes. RLS also may strike during pregnancy.

Dr. Christopher J. Earley and his colleagues studied 16 patients with RLS who
received either pergolide or placebo for 18 days. Patients were given a
maximum number of pills and told they could take as few or as many as they
felt they needed to achieve symptom relief. An all-night sleep study was
performed two days before initiating treatment and during the last two days of
the drug treatment.

Compared with patients on placebo, those taking pergolide had greater
improvement in their ability to sleep for prolonged periods and greater
reductions in leg movements per hour. Prior to treatment, patients in the
pergolide group had an average of 49 leg movements per hour, which decreased
to 14.5 leg movements per hour with treatment. The rate of leg movements in
the placebo group did not change.

Patients on pergolide also experienced a decrease in the amount of time per
day they suffered symptoms. Prior to treatment, the pergolide group reported
symptoms lasting an average of seven hours a day, which decreased to less than
two hours a day with treatment. By comparison, the placebo group experienced
an increase in the number of hours each day that they had symptoms, the team
reported.

Pergolide is used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. Other
Parkinson's drugs, such as levodopa, have been used to treat restless legs
syndrome with varying degrees of success. Levodopa cannot relieve symptoms
throughout the night and loses its effectiveness after long-term use, while
pergolide, which has properties similar to levodopa, appears to maintain its
effectiveness at night. The long-term effectiveness of pergolide for treating
restless legs syndrome is not yet known.

According to James Kiley, director of the National Center on Sleep Disorders
Research at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute in Bethesda, Md.,
the study is important because treatment recommendations for restless legs
syndrome are a "mixed bag" with no gold standard. "This is clearly a condition
that has a neurological basis and it is not clear right now that the symptoms
are consistent from patient-to-patient," he said. "What most physicians do is
try a variety of things depending on the severity of symptoms, the person's
age, etc."

Added Kiley, "Up till now there haven't been many well-controlled, randomized
trials and so this study does take a step in the right direction. Obviously,
as the authors point out, the study is small and I don't think we know about
the long-term effects of pergolide in treating RLS. We need to get information
on long-term use and we also need to know if we can generalize the results of
such a small trial."

Neurology (1998;51:1599-1602)

Copyright 1998 The New York Times Syndicate. All rights reserved.

   MORE NEWS
Top News
General Health
Children's Health
Senior Health
Women's Health
Men's Health
Mental Health
Nutrition
Fitness
Heart Health
Cancer
Allergy
AIDS
Johns Hopkins News and Commentaries
Today in Health History
This Week in Health

Breaking news and updates on the most important and intriguing health stories,
from Johns Hopkins, Reuters, UPI and other news services.

WANT MORE?
Get additional details on these and other topics in our Health Library.

FACT
By age 3-1/2, 75 percent of children no longer wet the bed. (American
Institute for Preventive Medicine)

TIP
Caffeine in small to moderate doses does not have any harmful affect on
children's behavior, according to a recent analysis by researchers at the
Universities of Chicago and Colorado. In fact, parents participating in the
study of caffeine and theophylline (commonly taken by children with asthma and
a close chemical cousin of caffeine), reported their kids behaved better after
taking small doses of the chemicals. Caffeine can be found in some soft
drinks, cocoa, chocolate, coffee and tea.