Hi Everyone:

I am the national study coordinator for a Parkinson's Disease Genetic
Study.  I would like make persons aware of this study so that we may
recruit as many persons as possible.  Therefore, I would like to post the
following information about the study:

GenePD
Genetic Linkage Study in
Parkinson's Disease
A Study of Siblings with PARKINSON'S DISEASE

Over the past several years there has been renewed interest in a familial
(genetic) basis for Parkinson's Disease.  Although the disease does not
appear to run in families in the traditional manner, some people may be
born with a genetic predisposition toward developing the disease later in
life.  We would like to learn more about how and why people develop
Parkinson's Disease so that we can hopefully find a means of prevention by
identifying persons at risk and introducing new approaches to alter their
future development.

This is a multi-site project including institutions throughout the United
States, Canada and Germany, which has been funded by the National Institute
of Health.  Boston University School of Medicine is the coordinating center
for the project.  The study group is interested in Parkinson's patients who
have either a living brother or sister also with Parkinson's Disease.
These sibling pairs would undergo a free neurological examination, a blood
sample would be taken for the genetic research and a questionnaire would be
administered.

If you have PD and have a living brother or sister also with PD, please
contact Nancy Maher, MPH, National Study Coordinator, Boston University
School of Medicine, Neurogenetics 1-617-638-5179, toll free 1-888-533-9113
or e-mail [log in to unmask]  Visit our web page www.bu.edu/genepd.