KING: I didn't know that.

HUFFARD: So, I think he has a sense of what it means for a family to suffer
with the disease?

KING: How are your daughters dealing with it? Michael said how much he
misses his dealing with them?

HUFFARD: It's so hard for them.

KING: How old are they?

HUFFARD: Twelve and 15. It's really hard for them. You know, it's scary when
he falls, and they're both really good girls. They're right there for him.
But it's hard. It's hard for them, you know, but it's going to work out. You
know, they're going to grow from it, and...

KING: Pat, how long have you committed to Michael's working on the program.

FILI KRUSHEL: We originally anticipated about ten times he'd be on the show
over a three-month period. We've already exceeded that, and we told Michael
and Susan that as long as Michael feels comfortable working on the show, we
will reoccur the character.

KING: This is like ad infinitum.

FILI KRUSHEL: Yes. As long as he feels comfortable, we have a story to tell.

KING: All right. Doctor, will that help -- the fact that they have Michael
on television, in your opinion?

LOMBARD: I think so. I think, to reiterate what Pat said, or what Michael
said before, even though that Michael's has lost his physical ability to
speak, his appearance on the soap opera has given a larger voice to ALS,
definitely.

KING: Now, as concerning ALS, doctor: optimistic, pessimistic, too early?

LOMBARD: I am cautiously optimistic. I, actually, am hoping that we can
develop effective therapies that could slow the progression of ALS. I think
a cure is probably much further along the lines, but I do think that there
is in place a lot of basic science which explains what causes ALS, and that
this basic science could be translated into effective treatments.

KING: Well, do you think with advances in gene therapy, we may know someone
early in life who is going to get this and then doing something about their
not getting it?

LOMBARD: That's 100 percent. It's a very insightful question, and I agree
that that probably will be there, somewhere down the pipeline. Absolutely.

KING: So, in the history of this, your husband is probably going to be a
hero?

HUFFARD: Absolutely.

KING: And you're proud of that? You've got a lot of moxie. I mean, a lot of
people would shirk all this and just stay home.

HUFFARD: Yes. Well, neither one of us, you know, I mean, we couldn't go to
beach with something like this going on. We've got to get out there, and I
feel better when I'm out there.

KING: You're optimistic?

I love that. And, Pat, the response from the audience has been, as you said,
terrific, right?

FILI KRUSHEL: Overwhelmingly, positive. Not one single negative letter. Let
me repeat the phone number, the 800 number, it deals with -- this is the
number that deals with Michael's angels and...
HUFFARD: ZazAngels.

KING: ... the fight against ALS. The number is 1-800-782-4747. We thank
Michael Zaslow, Susan Hufford, Pat Fili Krushel -- I've been saying it wrong
all night. What's the name, Pat?

FILI KRUSHEL: Pat Fili Krushel.

KING: I'm always wrong. And Dr. Jay Lombard, and I think Michael wants to
add a word.

ZASLOW: Bless you, Pat.

HUFFARD: Bless you, Pat.

KING: Thank you, Michael. Thank you for watching. We'll see you on another
edition of LARRY KING LIVE. Don't go away. Good night.

TO PURCHASE A VIDEOTAPE OF THIS PIECE, PLEASE CALL 800-CNN-NEWS.