ListFriends:

Fresh off their tour de ofrce with last month's article on Michael J. Fox and
Parkinspon's disease, People magazine has struck again in the edition now on
the stands (January 11) with a three-page "Q and A" on Parkinson's disease,
featuring Dr. Stanley Fahn, Houston Merritt professor of neurology at Columbia
University and (yes, we're proud!) scientific director of the Parkinson's
Disease Foundation.

It's a compact, useful little piece, with good celeb pix.  It wil be helpful
both educationally (to a general People readership which doesn't know much
about Parkinson's) and in public relations terms (that is, telling the world
about the importance of a medical condition that most people were not aware of
until quite recently).

It's not at all "downbeat" (would be out of character with the magazine if it
were!) but at the same time I do believe that it will NOT offend those of our
ListServ members who feel that much of the recent coverage of PD has been just
a bit too cheery -- almost as if PD were not a serious business.  I hope I'm
right.

For those who are interested, the idea for the piece came right out of the
earlier one (on Fox).  The people at People got so much response from the
earlier article that they decided to run this as a follow-up for those folks
who wanted to know more about the disease.  Their Chicago bureau called Judy
Rosner at the UPF ... Judy called me ... and Dr. Fahn said he would be
available.

Does any one else have an impression that the Parkinson's community is on a
bit of a roll here?  Happy New Year, everyone!

robin elliott, exec dir, parkinson's disease foundation

ps i apologize for not putting this posting out earlier; on new year's eve, i
was told they were holding the piece for two weeks.  yeah, right!