hi john and happy new year!

waaay back
At 22:09 1998/12/14 -0500, you wrote, in part:

>Janet
>Thanks for taking the time to answer my letter. No I don't
>belong to a support group. I have planed to go to meetings,
>once I almost made it out the door. I guise I am afraid to
>see what the future holds for me.

hey, who gave you a fortune-telling-license?!?
[just teasing!]
but just because pd hits someone else in a certain way
doesn't mean that it will hit you in the same way
[not by a long shot!]

a new-ish parkie in 1999 has a lot of real hard evidence
to look to for hope and for ways and means
of chasing away the 'bogeyman'
of our fears

>My wife Shannon is my best support.  I know I don't make life
>easy for her especially since  she has her own problems (MS).
>We seem to manage for now. Shannon also has a much caring
>family that helps out.

this sounds great
you and shannon have been given a couple of pretty tough tests
i'm glad you have supportive family around

>On the vitamin c, shannon thinks I mite have made it
>seem like my med problems started after I started
>taking vitamin c. If I did I am sorry.

that was the impression i had
which was why i wondered about it

>I was having problems before I started the vitamins. In
>fact I believe right now some of Gods greatest gifts to
>PWP is the internet and vitamin c. Of corse there is also
>loving family, good friends and knowledgable and caring
>docs when you can find one.

absolutely!

>The reason I am so high on vitamin c is that before I
>started taking them it would take almost an hour for my
>morning meds to kick in, now it is more like 20 minutes.

this is great!
what kind of vitamin C - and what do you take it with?

>Before  I started taking the vitamins  I had  asked my doc to
>increase my dosage by one pill (from 3 to 4 ) because the meds
>were taking so long to kick in.  After I started taking the fourth
>pill my body would get so rigid it was unbearable, It seemed like
>my muscles would be getting tighter. I would get as stiff as a
>board. Some times this would happen while I was driving (bad news).
>So I cut back to 3 pills again.

this sounds a bit odd -
can you tell us more details as to the timing of your pills
and the timing of the stiffness setting in after the fourth pill?

>Then I read about dissolving pills in Coke (the soda pop)
>and this helped speed things up allot.

yup
i believe that sweet sugary drinks [not diet] are the best 'vehicle'

>Shortly after that I read about Vitamin Cs and how they passed
>from the blood into the brain and how this was helpful for taking
>meds that had to reach the brain.

i don't think i've read this, or if i did, i've forgotten -
it sounds very interesting - do you remember where you read it?

>Maybe it is just my imagination but it seems the meds not
>only kick in faster but I also  get maximum effects out
>of them. I don't know it just seems like it.

it would be interesting both for you and for us
if you could maintain a detailed diary/schedule for a few days
to see if you can confirm this

i think this is the type of anecdotal experience
that probably won't be studied formally
if we have to take sinemet,
we might as well get the most out of it!

>As far as the pd effecting my job, some times it does, but
>I have over 30 experience on the job and I know how to
>compensate for my short comings when it happens.
>I think the hardest part is when I see others my age
>living the life that I had envisioned for myself and
>when I think of the plans I had for my, "GOLDEN YEARS",

the best laid plans...
we like to think we can plan ahead
and thus have some kind of 'control' over the future
but we can't and we don't
never have and
never will

>Again I thank you for your concern and I
>hope to hear from you in the future.
>Your new friend
>John 55/5
>John Lees <[log in to unmask]>

it was great to hear from you again, john
sorry it took me so long to reply
my eudora filters have been working overtime!

your cyber-sibling

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm