J Finch wrote:

> ...While some folks may well have been cured of cancer by using
> unorthodox methods ... we should still question the actual cancer
> and the degree of "cure." One doctor in Houston has the backing of
> a very large group of cured patients who support his use of cancer
> medicine in which the main ingredient is human urine. The FDA has
> yet to shut him down, and if I had cancer I might be taking a
> serious look at his medicine. If it works, great. The bad part is
> if it doesn't work, it may very well cost you your life.

You are referring to Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski, who has a web site
www.cancermed.com.  The medicine is called antineoplastons, and I
think it is derived from a component of urine.  I kwew one of his
patients personally.  The patient was Ron Wolin, whose name may ring
a bell with people involved in the anti-Vietnam war movement.  I
don't recall the type of cancer he had.  Ron was told by doctors at
Memorial Hospital-Sloan Kettering Institute in NYC that he was in
hopeless condition and that there was no sense treating him.  One of
the doctors there suggested he try Dr. B.  Ron became a patient of
Dr. B's, was put on antineoplastons, and after a few years improved
to the point of being able to work again.  Unfortunately the
treatment was not sufficient to prevent a relapse, from which he
died, but it did produce great improvements and prolong his life by
several years.

Dr. B. is not about to be shut down.  He is now conducting clinical
trials.  There has been great controversy regrading his credentials
and methods.  From the point of view of his patients, he has been
"persecuted" because he is perceived as a threat to the vested
interests of the medical "establishment" (surgery, radiation therapy
and chemotherapy).

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990