hi brenda

you wrote:
>janet,
>monday i have to take a stress test that is chemically
>induced! I am worried about the test and pd drug!..
>my drugs are sinemet 50/200, mirapex .25 and paxil 40...
>Cardiologist doesn't feel i can do the treadmill stress
>test so they are going to inject drugs to check me...
>what should i be expecting?
>brenda (44 dx4)

i have done some digging on the wwweb
and found two websites with info that may reassure you
i have copied 'extracts' from them below

it appears that the medicine commonly used
to 'mimic' a treadmill stress test is dipyridamole [Persantine]

i have looked through the pubmed site at:
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/>

and the pd list archives at:
<http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/>

and can't find any mention of any problem with dipyridamole
and parkinson's or parkinson's meds

maybe you could ask your pharmacist to check for possible med interactions?
maybe others on the list have some input here?

as i always say, forewarned is forearmed!

your cyber-sibling

janet

TESTS TO DIAGNOSE HEART DISEASE  - THALLIUM STRESS TEST

Thallium stress test is a type of nuclear scanning test or myocardial perfusion
(blood flow) imaging test. This test shows the adequacy of blood flow to the
heart muscle. It is usually done in conjunction with an exercise stress test on
a treadmill or bicycle ..... Occasionally a person is unable to do an exercise
test because they are too sick or have physical problems. In this case, a drug
such as dipyridamole [Persantine]  is given to the patient instead of performing
an exercise test. This drug increases blood flow to the heart and thus "mimics"
an exercise test. The thallium test is then performed.

<http://www.americanheart.org/Heart_and_Stroke_A_Z_Guide/tests.html>
1998 American Heart Association, Inc.

GENERIC NAME: DIPYRIDAMOLE    BRAND NAME: PERSANTINE

COMMON USES: This medicine is a diagnostic agent used to test how well the blood
flows to your heart. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined
by your doctor. CAUTIONS: CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY if you experience
chest pain or sudden shortness of breath. SIDE EFFECTS, that may go away during
treatment, include headache, dizziness, nausea, rash, and flushing. If they
continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. If you notice other effects
not listed above, contact your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.

<http://www.healthtouch.com>
Healthtouch(R), Copyright MSI 1998

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada