This is a duplicate - delete if you agree.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Kleynscheldt, Gerrit
        Sent:   Wednesday, January 06, 1999 11:52 AM
        To:     'robert l dolezal'; Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
        Subject:        RE: WHAT Millenium Issue?

        Bob and all,

        It is nice for us to keep ourselves busy with these millennium
things because it makes the mind work.

        I have great empathy for both arguments, BUT...

        My little contribution would be the following:  Suppose you start a
new business on the 1st of January.  How do you refer to that first 12 month
period?  It would seem normal to refer to it as year one, or will you talk
about the 0th year of your business?  Another way to explain it would be to
say that the first year is from 0 to 1.  The next year (1 - 2) will be year
2 etc.  Once your business has now run its very successful 2000 years, the
year that ends with year 2000 will be your 2000th year. (I think)

        It seems therefore that I agree with Bob's argument and I surmise it
is that clear to me because I look at the ending of every period and not the
starting of every period.

        This is my friendly way to cloud the issue further.

        Gerrit Kleynscheldt

        Tel:    +27 21 947 8918 (Local 021 947 8918)
        Fax:    +27 21 947 1521 (Local 021 947 1521)

        Please note the following:
        Because e-mail can be altered electronically, the integrity of this
communication cannot be guaranteed.