In his post, Val said:

>Hey Barb - what's wrong with planting the seeds as Nature intended
>and eating them?

Actually Val, I conducted a research project for my thesis
specifically to learn more about prehistoric domestification of
animals and plants and recently discovered that waaaaay back in the
dawn of time, ALL domesticated plants and animals originated from ONE
SINGLE SPECIES!

Yes, ONE species is the progenitor of ALL domesticated animals and
plants, including YOUR favorite, Val - the humble, innocuous little
find-'em-in-every-health-food-store-SPROUT  (Calm, yourself, Val...
you're starting to hyperventilate).

That single animal/plant entity is of the genus "Sproutanimalus
domesticanis," which you may already be familiar with, given your
obsession with sprouts.

Archeologists have pinned down the actual prehistoric individual who
was responsible for the original domestication as being a Mrs.. Fern
Jones, who was heard to berate her husband Milton one night about the
lack of domesticated animals and plants in and around the cave they
inhabited with a few other families.

ASIDE:   You may have heard of this particular group of  early
prehistoric cave-dwellers - the Goldberg's, Sterns,   Finkelmans, and
the Jones', to name a few.

Anyway, Mrs.. Jones yelled at Milton "Venn is you going to gedt us
zsome nize enimals und sproudts und odder weggies to eaten und kip
domesdicaded in der cave??  Sheeeesh!..."

His response  made Milton the VERY FIRST MALE in history to be heard
mumbling "VIMMINS!!!  Neg, neg, neg...." as he stumbled out of the
warm cave into the cold dark night in order to satisfy his wife's
yearnings (just like today's male, huh?).

Being nobody's fool, Milton hunkered down next to a nearby pond,
grabbed a chunk of clay from amongst the reeds, quickly slapped some
seeds that had profusely littered the ground onto the clay and
hightailed back to the cave.

The next morning, it was discovered that Milton had placed the wet
clay on top of a dog  and lo and behold, the clay had dried in the
shape of the dog and was covered in tiny green edible sprouts!

"NEAT," exclaimed Mrs.. Jones," I'll call it "Chia-Pet," and soon the
cave was full of Chia Pets, hence the birth of the phrase, "Keeping
up with the Jones'!"

Historians have left it up to US to try to answer that ages old
question, "Which came first, the Chia-Pet or the sprout," and THAT
you'll have to decide for yourself!

Soooo... to answer your original question, it looks like Chia-Pets
have been around nearly as long as sprouts.  Without a doubt, had God
not intended humanity to munch a srout or two right off a Chia-Pet,
he wouldn't have let Milton leave the cave that long-ago-night in
order to keep his wife from nagging, and in the process to create the
first Chia-Pet.

As I see it, Val, it's our God-given RIGHT to eat sprouts off of a
Chia-Pet!  (tho of COURSE, no one who's "IN" would EVER in this life
admit to even OWN a Chia-Pet!) <but that's another story>

Barb Mallut (sharpening her darts...) <grinning>