robert l dolezal wrote:
> >Burman said when you measure in units any quantity that may have positive or
> >negative value, your scale must look like this:
> >
> >                -N....-3,-2,-1,-0,+0,+1,+2,+3...+N
> >
> >Wrong! A sign (+ or -) does not exist for zero. Proper scale is:
> >
> >-N....-3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2,+3....+N
> Maybe I am missing something, but somehow "0" seems to have been an
> important digit in the passage of time.

Sorry Bob, you're wrong and I'm right, trust me. In the scale for
measuring things, such as time, "zero" is an interval one unit long,
not a point. That's why, if your measured value falls  between zero
(0.0, a point) and one (1.0, another point) you must provide a unit
(a space, not a point) that covers values between 0.0 and 1.0. Values
that fall within the next unit space will be 1.1, 1.2, etc.
Since not even engineers want to call the first year of the Christian
era "Year 0", we call it "Year 1", even though it's not over until
midnight December 31. If you still don't believe me, look up the
word "number" in Webster's Dictionary and you'll find a pretty good
explanation of cardinal and ordinal numbers, with tables and examples.
Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694