hi elizabeth

At 22:39 1999/01/06 -0500, you wrote:
>Please,would someone explain clinical depression.
>Is depression the same as clinical depression??
>I would appreciate any explaination.
>Elizabeth 69/2

feeling sad or 'depressed' is a normal part
of the ups and downs of a normal life

as i understand it,
'clinical depression' is a medical term used to describe
a persistent depressed mood which does not lift on its own
over a period of weeks or months

it can impair my emotional and cognitive abilities
via brain chemistry changes
like pd impairs my physical abilities
via brain chemistry changes

which might explain why 40 to 50% of all parkies
tend to have clinical depression [cd] as well

one big difference between cd and pd?
cd is as common as the common cold
but is eminently and easily treatable and curable

i've copied the partial definition below
from one of the pages on my web-site:
[it's originally from the university of british columbia, eh?]

janet

Clinical depression is sometimes referred to as a major depressive episode.

Episodes are usually a result of Major Depressive Disorder, but they can also be associated with other disorders.

It appears that clinical depressions can be caused in a number of ways.

Clinical depression is not just 'feeling unhappy'.

A clinical depression can include a low mood, hopeless feelings, and loss of interest or pleasure in almost all usual activities and pastimes. (ed. note: i call it a 'damp blanket' thrown over one's 'spark')

Some of the common symptoms are:

-Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
-Not caring anymore about work, hobbies, friends or sexual activity
-Self-recrimination for things in the past or present
-Feeling tired all the time or finding everything an effort
-Having trouble concentrating or making decisions
-Loss of appetite or loss of weight
-Eating more than usual and gaining weight
-Thoughts of suicide
-Considering a way of dying

Other problems people experience during a clinical depression include:

-Frequently feeling on the verge of tears or weepy
-Waking up early in the morning, with difficulty returning to sleep
-Feeling worse in the morning
-Feeling anxious or irritable
-A gloomy view of the future
-Physical pain or headaches
-Cravings for certain foods

Most people experience these symptoms for months before seeking treatment.

Being depressed is painful and it may feel like it will never end.

Without treatment symptoms can last for months, sometimes years.

Appropriate treatment can help over 80% of those who suffer from depression.

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
<http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm>