Hi Eva,

I am reprinting your response to me and my answer on the list because I think it has some general interest.

Requip is a dopamine agonist meaning it acts on the receptor sites in the brain in a similar way to dopamine. Since it acts directly it is not dependent on the conversion of l-dopa to dopamine.  That conversion
occurs in the substantia nigra cells that are dying in PD.  The agonists therefore -  at least theoretically- do not tax the remaining dopamine-producing cells and MAY increase their life span.

As I have written before I think it is important that at least a consultation be done by a reputable movement disorders clinic for PD patients.  Very few primary care physicians and even a fair number of general
neurologists  are not up to date with the rapidly evolving treatment strategies of treating PD.  If presented in a reasonable way most good physicians will not be offended by the request of such a consult. It then
establishes (or strengthens relationship between the consultant and the PCP or general neurologist which is to everybody's benefit.

Good luck,

Charlie

PETER WHEATLEY wrote:

> I am new to this list, What is Requip for? My mother is on Sinemet only and one other drug to bring up her blood pressure. I am trying to get all the info I can for her re; this disease. Thank you Eva Wheatley

> Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.

Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin