Only in Canada, eh?...

By The Canadian Press

Lotto prize helps woman pay for medication

BRANTFORD (CP) — A $145,903 lottery prize will help a woman afford a new
medicine for Parkinson’s disorder that is not covered by OHIP.
Ruby Prosko, 68, won second prize in the Dec. 23 Lotto 6-49 draw.
“It couldn’t come at a better time for me. The first thing I’m going to
do is pay my bills,” Prosko said Tuesday.
Last summer, Prosko was diagnosed with Parkinson’s — a degenerative
neurological disorder that is characterized by muscle weakness and
tremors. There is no cure and conventional therapy causes side effects
in Prosko.
Her neurologist recommended a new medication, subsidized in other
provinces but not yet covered by OHIP.
The $300 a month price tag would have imposed a financial burden on
Prosko. But the prize money has taken care of that.
Prosko is a mother of five, grandmother of six and soon-to-be
great-grandmother.
(Brantford Expositor)
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^