Company Press Release

SOURCE: SIBIA Neurosciences, Inc.

SIBIA Neurosciences Initiates Second Phase 2 Study Of SIB-1508Y for
Parkinson's Disease

LA JOLLA, Calif., Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- SIBIA Neurosciences, Inc.
(Nasdaq: SIBI - news) today announced the initiation of a second Phase 2
study of their subtype-selective nicotinic agonist, SIB-1508Y, for
Parkinson's disease. This is a double-blind, randomized, placebo
controlled, crossover study measuring safety, tolerability and efficacy
of SIB-1508Y in mid-to-late-stage Parkinson's patients who will also
receive half their usual dose of L-DOPA.

In SIBIA's initial Phase 2 study, which is still ongoing, SIB-1508Y is
being tested as a monotherapy in early stage Parkinson's patients who
have never received other drug therapy for their illness. Both Phase 2
studies are aimed at assessing the ability of SIB-1508Y to treat the
cognitive as well as motor deficits of Parkinson's patients.

Jeffrey McKelvy, Ph.D., SIBIA's Chief Scientific Officer, stated, ``In
this second study, we will test the use of SIB-1508Y in patients with
later stages of Parkinson's disease, and therefore, better understand
the broad potential of SIB-1508Y in Parkinson's disease management.
Because we have seen synergistic effects of SIB-1508Y and L-DOPA in
primate models, we hope that its use with L-DOPA will permit reduced
exposure to L-DOPA. We are also optimistic that our continuing clinical
studies will show that SIB-1508Y can stop the progression of Parkinson's
disease, reflecting recently reported neuroprotection effects of
SIB-1508Y in animal models.''
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^