As Ivan has been open about sharing the awful things he has experienced at
the hands of persons who were paid to "care" for him, I feel he deserves a
reply on list.

I, like many others of this cyber-family, am certainly aware of homophobia
as it affects some 10% (?)
of our population.  It, like racism, is institutionalized and a part of our
society, whether we like it or not.
I don't want to "debate" sexual orientation here, please--that's NOT the
issue.  The  point is I think that no human being should have to endure the
pain and humiliation which Ivan describes....and the fact that these
persons were paid (no matter how little) to serve and assist him makes it
all the more disturbing.

While I also see PBS as less likely to be influenced by sponsors, they are
part of this society, and can't escape its pressures entirely . Gina's
account was encouraging, BTW.     I don't know how we can ascertain the
truth about this particular incident--whether Ivan's being gay played a
part in the decision not to include him NOW.  I am glad Ivan is apparently
not so angry that he would reject a chance to present his important case
later,  as he is a good spokesperson for our cause, and it was my
impression that later was a distinct possibility..

In writing here of his difficulties in getting and keeping paid CGs, Ivan
has always emphasized the role of the low pay they get.  Now he reveals
that there are many so-called CGs who should not be given these
responsibilities, no matter  how much they are paid---I wonder if PWPs who
belong to racial minorities have similar experiences?--probably not to the
same degree, as sexuality is such an emotion laden issue for many.

Ivan, I can only say that you may have opened a few eyes to the realities
you describe, and helped us to understand your anger which, as  Michel
points out, can be self-defeating as well as motivating.  If you have
helped us to "walk a mile in your shoes",  that can only be a good thing.

 I'm relieved that you got the Lifeline service connected---perhaps it will
help ease some of the anxiety at times when you are alone.

        Shalom, Camilla                       <[log in to unmask]>

                  "In matters of conscience,
                       the law of majority
                           has no place."
                      ---Mohandas K. Gandhi